I came across Google’s Namebench program while researching internet connection slowness and found that I could increase my DNS lookup time by 191%. This may not work as well for you but it’s worth a try. I am on a city fiber network (Spanish Fork City Network) that I’m pretty sure is getting too big for it’s servers. When I typed in www.google.com for example, it would take up to 5 seconds sometimes for the web page to resolve. After using the recommended DNS IP adresses from namebench the resolve time is under a second. It recommended using Comcast’s DNS servers. Learn more at http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
WinX DVD Ripper is a free DVD software that facilitates ripping the content of a DVD to computer hard disk drive and converting to popular video formats. It supports convert many kinds of DVDs to most of popular video formats such as AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, FLV, MPEG1/2.
Get it here: www.winxdvd.com
Read this article to learn how to clean your computer up if you think you have malicious software:
You can use MPEG Streamclip to: open and play most movie formats including MPEG files or transport streams; edit them with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Trim; set In/Out points and convert them into muxed or demuxed files, or export them to QuickTime, AVI, DV and MPEG-4 files with more than professional quality, so you can easily import them in a DVD authoring tool, and use them with many other applications or devices.
Supported input formats: MPEG, VOB, PS, M2P, MOD,VRO, DAT, MOV, DV, AVI, MP4, TS, M2T, MMV, REC, VID, AUD, AVR, VDR, PVR, TP0, M2V, M1V, MPV, AIFF, M1A, MP2, MPA, AC3, …
Download from: http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html
- Drag-and-drop PDF creation (NEW). PrimoPDF is the only free PDF converter to support one-click, drag-and-drop PDF creation — saving you time whenever you need to create a PDF file.
- Downloaded 15,000,000+ times. PrimoPDF is the world’s most popular free PDF creator.
- 100% industry-standard PDF files. Easily create PDF files that can be opened in any PDF viewer, including Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Reader, and Nitro PDF Professional.
- Convert 300+ file types to PDF. Convert any file that prints to PDF, including Microsoft Word (DOC, DOCX), Excel (XLS, XLSX), PowerPoint (PPT, PPTX), Visio (VSD), Publisher (PUB), WordPerfect (WPD), OpenOffice, HTML, TXT, BMP, TIFF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, and many more.
- Consistent PDF creation. Use PrimoPDF’s creation profiles to produce the same kind of PDF file every time. Profiles include Screen, eBook, Print, Prepress, and Custom.
- Append PDF files. Combine each newly created PDF file into the one PDF.
- Secure PDF. Protect and encrypt your information with strong password-based PDF security.
- PDF metadata. Set the document properties information fields, — including author, title, subject, and keywords — to index your PDF files and make them easier to search.
- PDF versions. Create different version PDF files: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5
Network Activity Indicator displays the old ‘two monitors’ icon in Windows 7 that flashed blue to show network activity on the System Tray.
Unlike the original Windows XP utility (that has individual indicators for each interface), this program indicates outgoing and incoming network packets on all available interfaces.
This utility is a standalone executable. Run the program, you’ll see a new system tray icon.
Now you can monitor your network traffic in Windows 7 using XP-like ‘two monitors’ icon in the System Tray.
To customize program settings right click the mouse on the System Tray icon.
This utility is released as freeware. You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM, Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don’t charge anything for this. If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in the distribution package, without any modification!
The software is provided “AS IS” without any warranty, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental, consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
Bytescout Screen Capturing can record screen video to AVI. It allows you to easily capture full screen, region around the mouse cursor or selected rectangular area.
Screen Capturing automatically saves screen recording as AVI video file. The screen recorder also supports audio recording which can be disabled in Settings dialog window if required. Thus, you can capture screen video to AVI with sound.
- record entire screen, region or dynamic region around the mouse;
- mouse cursor can be recorded and highlighted with a hot spot;
- supports audio recording including live recording from a microphone;
- supports different video compression modes (can use almost any video compression codec installed on your computer);
- output video files are ready to be uploaded to YouTube;
Audacity® is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems. Get if free from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/.
Audacity can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from cassette tapes, vinyl records, or minidiscs. With some sound cards, it can also capture streaming audio.
- Record from microphone, line input, or other sources.
- Dub over existing tracks to create multi-track recordings.
- Record up to 16 channels at once (requires multi-channel hardware).
- Level meters can monitor volume levels before, during, and after recording.
Import and Export
Import sound files, edit them, and combine them with other files or new recordings. Export your recordings in several common file formats.
- Import and export WAV, AIFF, AU, and Ogg Vorbis files.
- Import MPEG audio (including MP2 and MP3 files) with libmad.
- Export MP3s with the optional LAME encoder library.
- Create WAV or AIFF files suitable for burning to CD.
- Import and export all file formats supported by libsndfile.
- Open raw (headerless) audio files using the “Import Raw” command.
- Note: Audacity does not currently support WMA, AAC, or most other proprietary or restricted file formats.
- Easy editing with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Delete.
- Use unlimited Undo (and Redo) to go back any number of steps.
- Very fast editing of large files.
- Edit and mix an unlimited number of tracks.
- Use the Drawing tool to alter individual sample points.
- Fade the volume up or down smoothly with the Envelope tool.
- Change the pitch without altering the tempo, or vice-versa.
- Remove static, hiss, hum, or other constant background noises.
- Alter frequencies with Equalization, FFT Filter, and Bass Boost effects.
- Adjust volumes with Compressor, Amplify, and Normalize effects.
- Other built-in effects include:
- Record and edit 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit (floating point) samples.
- Record at up to 96 kHz.
- Sample rates and formats are converted using high-quality resampling and dithering.
- Mix tracks with different sample rates or formats, and Audacity will convert them automatically in realtime.
- Add new effects with LADSPA plug-ins.
- Audacity includes some sample plug-ins by Steve Harris.
- Load VST plug-ins for Windows and Mac, with the optional VST Enabler.
- Write new effects with the built-in Nyquist programming language.
- Spectrogram mode for visualizing frequencies.
- “Plot Spectrum” command for detailed frequency analysis.
Free and Cross-Platform
- Licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
- Runs on Mac OS X, Windows, and GNU/Linux.
I have been using the gimp since 2002 and I must say that it is awesome. GIMP is a versatile graphics manipulation package. This page should help you get a taste of what GIMP is capable of. They have free tutorials and tips at http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/.
Each task requires a different environment and GIMP allows you to customize the view and behavior the way you like it. Starting from the widget theme, allowing you to change colors, widget spacings and icon sizes to custom tool sets in the toolbox. The interface is modulized into so called docks, allowing you to stack them into tabs or keep them open in their own window. Pressing the tab key will toggle them hidden.
GIMP features a great fullscreen modeallowing you to not only preview your artwork but also do editing work while using the most of your screen estate.
Numerous digital photo imperfections can be easily compensated for using GIMP. Fix perspective distortion caused by lens tilt simply choosing the corrective mode in the transform tools.
Eliminate lens’ barrel distortion and vignetting with a powerful filter but a simple interface.
The included channel mixer gives you the flexibility and power to get your B/W photography stand out the way you need.
GIMP is ideal for advanced photo retouching techniques. Get rid of unneeded details using the clone tool, or touch up minor details easily with the new healing tool. With the perspective clone tool, it’s not difficult to clone objects with perspective in mind just as easily as with the orthogonal clone.
GIMP includes a very unique support for various input devices out of the box. Pressure and tilt sensitive tablets, but also a wide range of USB or MIDI controllers. You can bind often-used actions to device events such as rotating a USB wheel or moving a MIDI controller’s slider. Change the size, angle or opacity of a brush while you paint, bind your favorite scripts to buttons. Speed up your workflow!
The file format support ranges from the common likes of JPEG (JFIF), GIF, PNG, TIFF to special use formats such as the multi-resolution and multi-color-depth Windows icon files. The architecture allows to extend GIMP’s format capabilities with a plug-in. You can find some rare format support in the GIMP plugin registry.
Thanks to the transparent virtual file system, it is possible to load and save files to from remote locations using protocols such as FTP, HTTP or even SMB (MS Windows shares) and SFTP/SSH.
To save disk space, any format can be saved with an archive extension such as ZIP, GZ or BZ2 and GIMP will transparently compress the file without you needing to do any extra steps.
- GNU/Linux (i386, PPC)
- Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista)
- Mac OS X
- Sun OpenSolaris
RoboForm2Go works on USB Flash Drives. Plug your flash drive into any computer and enjoy all the benefits of RoboForm. Install this version directly on your flash drive.
Download from here: http://www.roboform.com/download.html